There is a widespread misconception that a fitness regime should be carried out only by teenagers and adults. On the contrary, kids and children should be also made to follow these methods in order to stay fit. Childhood obesity is one of the most alarming issues these days and its rate is found to be increasing day by day. The modern-day lifestyle of fast food, frizzy drinks, and computer games is very unhealthy. Therefore, as a parent or a guardian, it is essential to look for ways to maintain proper health and fitness of children.
Health and Fitness Tips for Children
If you wish your children to remain healthy, you need to inculcate healthy ways of eating and exercise in them. It is not practically possible to subscribe a gym membership for your kid and expect him to slog there every day. Similarly, it is not possible to keep children away from tempting foods. So, how to make children make healthy lifestyle choices?
- Involve children in the daily or weekly planning/shopping for meals as much as possible. In this case, you should not force your choices on them, but rather take your child’s suggestions into consideration. You can definitely alter them to make healthy meals.
- Try and encourage children to make healthy food choices. Extra cheese, creamy sauces can surely be avoided. You can opt for veggie burgers, pizza with lots of veggies and no cheese, in place of the unhealthy ones. White bread can be substituted with whole wheat version.
- If the child insists on having a double cheese burger for lunch, you can ask him to have vegetables/whole grain bread/fish for the other meal of the day to balance the calorie intake. Also limit the amount of sweets and sugary drinks you child consumes.
- All kids love snacking and you simply can’t prevent it. You can have healthy snacks like finger sandwiches, cut fruits and vegetables, animal crackers, dried fruits, milkshakes, fresh fruit juices, popcorn, homemade pudding, etc.
- Children should be encouraged to get involved in the physical activities conducted at school. If not, you can also subscribe to private sports’ clubs and encourage your children to attend it.
- One of the best tips is to plan fun physical activities like trekking, hiking, jogging, swimming, cycling, etc. Other members of the family and friends can also accompany to make it an enjoyable activity.
- Parents can take children along for walking, jogging, or cycling every day. This way you can bond more with the child and also take care of his fitness.
- You should set a time limit for the number of hours your child watches television or plays on the computer. You should arrange for other fitness activities like building a trampoline, playing table tennis, arranging for a swimming pool, etc., so that children do not get bored, yet remain fit.
Parents are expected to follow healthy lifestyle themselves so that children can be motivated to follow it. Lastly, as one of the most important tip, you should remember that children tend to get bored very quickly and hence, you should try to bring a variety in the diet and exercise pattern. Take care!